Friday 12 April 2019

Go on, now, I love you


Waiting in line. It still happens.
Yesterday I was waiting for my turn, thinking about thinking, taking small steps towards the counter I was waiting at. 'Go on, now, I love you', a young lady's utterance while ending a phone conversation put a stop to my dreaming. Then, she touched my left shoulder and asked me if everyone there, in the queue, was waiting for the same thing, to pick up their already paid-for products. I confirmed and tried my best to ease her uneasiness for the waiting did not usually last long. Her mobile rang. She answered it and told the person with which she was talking that there is a long line, but a lady told her that it should not last long. She closed the conversation again with 'Go on, now, I love you' that somehow sounded less convincing than the last one she had uttered. After 2 minutes, she dialed up a number and asked something. After receiving the answer, she closed with the same 'Go on, now, I love you'.
Sure, everyone is free to show their feelings, but it worries me that some words start to loose their intensity because they are being trivialized. This 'Go on, now, I love you', cast at the end of a line with a frequency that had nothing to do with the intensity of the feeling, and actually seemed to replace the word 'goodbye', made me sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment