Wednesday 5 February 2020

Life without a smartphone


I don’t own a smartphone. Instead, my phone has buttons and is yellow. A treat to the eyes, indeed.
Now, I am not trying to put the foundation to a new religion (even though seeing that Kanye West has gone religious, why shouldn’t I?!), but after having read Matt Haig’s Notes on a Nervous Planet, I realized that people are in search of ways to try to tone down their everyday stress.
So keep reading. And I promise to also tell you a funny story about this ‘no-smartphone deal’ experience.

First thing’s first. Years ago, I was madly attached to my flipping phone and was not interested in changing it with a smartphone (even though I was given an opportunity). But when it broke, I opted for another classic mobile phone, in spite of the fact that around me people were using smartphones.
Well, to sum it up. The main reason that I chose a classic phone over a smartphone is that I have high expectations of my time. I must spend it in a useful manner and realized that a smartphone will get in the way (especially now with some many apps and even more notifications).

Sure, I have friends around who use smartphones and I see both the disadvantages but also the advantages. But I rather use my phone for only calls and messages, without having to stay connected that much to a screen. Either way, we’re spending our time doing our jobs by staring at a screen, and then at home we have other screens to change that with (our computers, our TVs, etc.).
I consider it being important to disconnect. To free oneself from notifications, alerts, emergencies, calls, emails… Even I do that during the weekends, when I usually keep the phone in another room than the one I’m in and only log at the end of the weekend to the accounts I have on social media.

How do I manage? Well, it’s simple. If I need to get somewhere, I put directions on a piece of paper and always arrive at the destination (should you need me for treasure hunting, you can count on me). I use Google to search for things, just like any other mortal, I watch videos and I read and reply to emails but only on computers. I’m an organizing freak, so I tend to schedule most of my posts on my pages and blogs, so no issue here, either. I guess it’s all a matter of priorities. You do what you can in order to make sure that you cater for them.

I think the best thing about not having a smartphone is that when you are in a meeting or you’re with friends, it’s easier to give them an undivided attention since you’re not always distracted by notifications and alerts. A more person-to-person encounter, if you like.
And quoting Ross, by not having a smartphone I feel like I’ve been given the gift of time and I’m doing all that I can to make sure I cherish it.
Try it (well, not necessary to get rid of your smartphone; but I would definitely recommend disconnecting once in a while)!

P.S. That funny story is as follows: we were talking with my colleagues about new available gadgets, and one insisted on the fact that I must have a smartphone at home (and parade this yellow bundle of joy just to make an impression). Otherwise, how could I be so much in the know with the latest technological innovations?! It amuses me that the fact of not having a smartphone these days is unthinkable. But that does not necessary imply that if you don’t own one, you don’t know what’s happening. I don’t live in a cave, I tell you. It’s just I like the yellow color and having my time my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment