Thursday 4 March 2021

'If I Understood You, Would I have this Look on My Face?' - Alan Alda


Bad dentist experiences? Well, we’ve all had them. The difference is that Alan Alda decided to put his own bad dentist experience to good use. This book is a plain and simple how-to guide for those of us wanting more from us and from our experiences in relating and communicating.

Simplicity is key, and I absolutely love the fact that this idea came over and over throughout the book in order to set us straight. That and making sure our words are in tune with the people with which we communicate (that is vocabulary, experience).

I took notes while reading, and below are my lessons to be cherished from the book. Take a look, maybe they are useful to you, too.

 A lot of communication takes place in ways that don’t use words.’

The responsibility of getting the message across is on the person speaking, not the person listening.’

‘Communication works only in cases when you understand something about what I’m going to say to you.’

Pay attention to what you are paying attention to.’

No comments:

Post a Comment