Friday 24 September 2021

Scenes from buying books

This summer, we visited Slovenia.

It was quite a beautiful experience and we enjoyed the scenery and the people.

Ljubljana is indeed very beautiful, but it was Maribor where I could actually find books written by Slovenian writers translated into English.

I entered a beautiful bookshop in Maribor and asked the shop assistant to direct me to the shelf of translated Slovenian writers. She was quite puzzled and when I got to the counter to pay for these books below, the shop assistant said:

‘Oh, you only bought Slovenian writers' books. Are you a teacher here, coming to teach English?’

‘No’, I said. ‘I am a tourist, but I am really interested to discover writers from everywhere I go’.

That smile. A mixture of pride, humbleness and joy. That is something one can never take for granted.

And to embellish them all, I found a keychain with my favorite dogs breed.

(I love my West Highland White Terrier)

No comments:

Post a Comment