Saturday 1 July 2023

Obviously

I was listening to a Romanian radio show that had two guests.

The first one presented their new song and concluded with why not?! (that is, concluded with something said in English even though they were talking in Romanian). Which seemed logical enough. Then, the other started speaking, also a musician – ‘yes, I thought it was a great idea to collaborate on this project because obviously…’ (the same situation, all was said in Romanian except for obviously).

And this is where I felt lost. True, it was morning, and I thought that it was why I did not understand or that the second guest had used a musical term I had no idea about. Then, I realized that the guest wanted to be just as cool as the first one; and how can one be cool if one does not use English words among Romanian ones?!

Many of us can no longer speak without mixing Romanian and English (even though some Romanian words can express better what we want to say or are shorter than the English ones). Thank God for those that still make efforts to speak Romanian!

And bravo for the music band Taxi, they saw it coming so well, but I was too young back then to fully understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment