Sunday 20 January 2019

Ana Blandiana - Variations on a given topic



It's impossible not to fall under Ana Blandiana's spell. There is something in the way she gazes and utters the words that lets one know that one is in the presence of someone with extraordinary powers. The spell is cast and one's only wish is for it not to end soon.

When I was 13 years old, my father asked me about Arpagic. I stared at him for a while and then I shrugged my shoulders while letting him know that I had no idea about it. 'But what do they teach you in school?!', he asked concerned. It was then that I had heard for the first time the name of Ana Blandiana. The delight in my father's voice while talking about her stayed with me for a long time. When I first heard about the Memorial to the Victims of Communism and Resistance, I was truly moved by the initiative but did not remember the name of the founders. Years after that, when I went to visit the former political prison in Sighetul MarmaČ›iei, Ana Blandiana's soft voice greeted me at the entrance and I remembered my fathers sayings.

Today, I did something nice. I read poetry. The volume 'Variations on a given topic' contains poems of rare sensitivity. The secondary subject in all the poems is death, represented as physical absence and not disappearance. The main subjects vary, though. From time to memories, promises and questions about the significance of life.

There is a border between life and death, and no communication channel. But still, some spirits are connected and remain together contrary to the seeming impossibility. We remain united only if we wish to do so. And this union must not be validated by a physical presence.
I truly recommend you to read this collection of poems because you will rediscover how it feels to get goose bumps. You will vibrate, you will smile, you will get sad and you will realize the beauty of the Romanian poetry, but mostly, the beauty of Ana Blandiana's poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment