Thursday 24 January 2019

And when is it our turn to listen?!



I don't know if you have noticed but we are in full epidemic. And not the flue one. Besides the fact that we are in a hurry... Oh, we truly are in a hurry! We do not seem to listen. Or we no longer seem to listen. We focus so much on the answer we want to give or how to turn the discussion around to a subject we consider interesting, that the meaning of the interlocutor's words fly above us without even gently touching our eardrum.

It is alarming. And also because I caught myself turning a deaf ear, while my mind was agitated, waiting for the moment when I could speak. And I was so proud about my unabated attention!
I will not put the blame on the modern era, with all its smartphones and tablets, and neither on the youth's unsteadiness. I am thinking of a new strategy - to carefully listen. And I dare you to it, also. Start from taking a step back from yourself and take one step forward, towards the speaker. Maybe I should warn you about something. The risk of discovering other opinions than yours is high. Have no fear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment