Monday 23 August 2021

What Are You Grateful For?


I am grateful for my 12-year-old nephew who insists I sit next to him at the table whenever we see each other. And when I take him by the hand, his fingers gently cover mine in a way that confirms that love does not need too many words and the feeling of security is right in this simple touch.

Oh, and I am also grateful for his emotional intelligence. I witnessed so many situations when his way of dealing with certain situations brought my joy and admiration in a way I could never explain.

I think we owe it to ourselves to do emotional gymnastics once every few days. To just stop and think about what brings us joy, what moves us and motivates us to continue with our daily activities. I suggest a couple of exercises:

1. The exercise of gratefulness.

There must be a thing or a person in your life for which you are grateful. Stretch the memory muscle and let yourself be embraced by relaxation.

2. The exercise of joy.

Regardless if you are or not happy in this moment, look towards a moment in the past that made you happy or amused you. Take a deep breath. Laugh as if it would happen to you right in this moment.

3. The exercise of playing hide-and-seek.

Look out of the window to a distant point. Hide your worries behind that point as if it would be a heavy bag that you have been carrying on your shoulders. Then, move from the place you were.

 

Make sure to alternatively repeat the above exercises. But make sure to do it often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment