Friday 3 February 2023

When Numbers Mean More than People


Nowadays, in Romania, a lot of employees benefit from a medical subscription to a private clinic. I am also benefiting from that too, and the subscription is paid by my employer. For some time now, money seems to be at the center of things when it comes to private clinics. People are no longer treated as such, but as numbers. Well, this has been visible for some time now around us. And it’s true, maybe I fail to get this being a lady of letters, but I cannot help but wonder, where is the humanity?

When it comes to private clinics, because I tested almost all of them, for some years now I have been feeling like a second hand patient. Let me explain, please.

A while back, if I was to call the call center for an appointment and there was no availability, I was suggested another time. But now, the call center agents don’t even bother to hide why this happens. There is no room for those that have subscriptions, but those that do not and can pay the examination can have an apppointment the very next day.

In this case, the question arises about why should the employer pay for a subscription for an employee, having good intentions at heart, when the provider of services (namely, the private clinic) chooses to treat that employee as less important than a patient with no subscription?!

 

It’s worriesome to learn that the financial interest is being considered more by the professionals that have swore to make good. One morning, while I was waiting to draw blood and there was only one pacient than myself, with appointment, the nurses ignored us for a while until other pacients that did not have subscription (having priority, as one nurse explained to the lady that was waiting with me for more than 30 minutes) arrived and were invited in before us. I felt the bitter taste of humiliation, and it was then that I thought of the abovementioned question. Wouldn’t it be better if the employer allocated a budget to the employees so they can use it whenever they need it and at any private clinic they wish to (or they find appointments at)? This way, the clinics would be more amiable and humane to all pacients going to a clinic. For it seems to me that the subscription does not mean anything for the clinics anymore.

 

And there’s another thing that bothers me. Why is the employer’s money less valuable? If a clinic wishes only to make money, they should target this, without giving employers the facility to make medical subscriptions for their employees. It is absolutely grotesque to realize that this type of clinics have as slogan: we provide care, but if we already got your money, you are less interesting.

 

When I finally got to the pay desk to pay for some blood tests that were not included in my subscription, what I heard made me even furious. Below you can find the excerpt from a dialogue that I heard between an old man and the receptionst.

Old man: But, can’t I see the doctor before?

Receptionist: I’m sorry. There are no available slots. But if you want an appointment outside your subscription, you can come tomorrow. But you must pay.

Old man: How much is it?

Receptionist: 250 RON.

Old man: Oh, I see ... no.

Receptionist: Then, shall I make you an appointment at the end of February?

Old man: Isn’t it possible earlier, please? Or at least, you can call her now and ask her? I just need her advice. Should I stop the treatment or should I wait for the results of the blood tests? You know, this amount of money is too high for me. 250 RON is too expensive, you see?

Receptionist: (maybe a little ashamed that all people waiting in line were looking at her as if she was an executioner) Hm, well, wait a little...

Old man: OK, I will wait right here until you call the doctor and see what she thinks.

 

Humanity. Where has humanity gone? And why we cannot find it in places where it should be by default…

No comments:

Post a Comment