Monday 8 July 2019

Interesting



Do you also happen to find this adjective everywhere? It seems that nowadays nothing is worth the attention unless it’s presented this way.
You meet with a friend and you ask her/ him how was the movie you know she/ he saw. Interesting, without a doubt! A book, a play, even a song. They are all interesting.

The adjective interesting reminds me of a funny occurrence from last year.
I was somewhat new to a company and I was trying to get familiar with my tasks. Visiting us, there was a gentleman from another country. I showed him a desk where he could sit at and work, and he easily immersed into the screen of his laptop. For an hour or two.

My colleagues and I were talking amongst each other. From time to time. At a certain point, the gentleman got off his chair and turned his head towards me.
              ‘How do you love your job so far? Can you tell me a little about something interesting that you are working at right now?’

I managed to give him an answer, but the question left me rather puzzled. Interesting? Why interesting? Or better said, why only interesting?

The guest left shortly after this, but a colleague gave me an inspirational possible answer: ‘You should have told him you were working on your groceries list’. We laughed. In that office, we were all experts in ironies.

But still, why interesting? Not everything that we do is interesting. Sometimes, one has no choice but to do things that are slightly or even not at all interesting. But that does not mean one does not grow, learn, for the challenges one faces when is confronted with less interesting tasks helps one evolve.
And so, I am now into encouraging people to use other adjectives. Interesting, isn’t it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment