Wednesday 16 November 2022

Theatre – Sidonia Drăgușanu


These five plays written by Sidonia Drăgușanu have a discreet but enchanting charm.

The situations and characters presented within these plays are universal, but the witty voice of the author giving scene guidelines makes the reading really intense.

The characters run around and interact in a way that proves that Sidonia Drăgușanu was a connoisseur of the human spectacle with all its good and bad parts. Even though the plays in this book are presented as comedies, tiny stitches of sadness and inquietude can be noticed once in a while, inviting the reader to ponder upon things.

Here below is a paragraph from the play “The Game of Truth”:

 

Mister Elefterescu (wandering around the room): You keep insisting on the truth. The truth! Well, it more hinders things than makes them easier. Why did I listen to you?!

Valeriu (humorously): Why did I listen to you?! It serves me well! It’s been some time now since I realized that it is better not to give advice, even if one seeks it from one. But I do not know how I do this and constantly find myself overriding my own opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment