Wednesday 17 May 2023

Homeland


Romanian folk music is home to me. But not in space or time, but in the protection I feel any time I hear it. Sure, I have my own preferences and there are melodies that I keep listening to and which, yes, bring me back to a certain space or time. But the feeling I get when hearing them is hard to put into words. Yes, sometimes words have their own limitations. And far be it from me to be the one to hold a grudge against them.

And since I love lists, I will mention a couple of the songs that bring me back people, moments, and spaces, like a branch that one pushes in order to pass by and then it comes right back to its place.

Gheorghe – summer kitchen, village, grandfather

Dă, mamă, cu biciu’n mine (translated: mom, whip me) – father and his pick-up; an evening with a dear friend, both laughing a lot

Când văd vremea c-a trecut (translated: when I realize all the time that has passed) – home, tata, pick-up

Cine bate seara la fereastra mea (translated: who’s knocking at my window?) – the sea

De cine mi-e dor și sete (translated: I feel a deep longing for someone) – Bucharest, a former work colleague who is a fan of the songs sang by Liviu Vasilică; mom because she is also a fan of Liviu Vasilică

Mai ții minte măi dragă Marie (translated: Mary, do you still remember?) – laughter and childhood

No comments:

Post a Comment