Saturday 23 May 2020

I come from...


Since it's been a while since I have not used the metro, I have no Bucharest stories to tell you. Sure, stories can be picked from other places than the metro; a gathering is enough to get me inspired. LinkedIn, though, came to the rescue. There I read a story about a store opening in Dej. And bam! Inspiration kicked in.

While we were living in Cluj, we paid the cost of utilities directly to the real estate developer (it's far too complicated to enter into details). The problem was that we would be dropped on constantly in order to give him cash (which sometimes we would not have on us, given that we had no ATM in our apartment) or he would come while we were not at home. Sometimes, it so happened that we were elsewhere, too far to come back home instantly. His approach was always to ring us whenever there was no answer at the door. When we would tell him we are too far to come back home, he would reply: but I come from Dej.

A couple of times, we tried to explain it to him that it would be best if he would ring us one or two days in advance, so that to avoid unfruitful moments like those. Especially because he came all the way from Dej, it was advisable not to make unnecessary trips. But we could not make him understand. And so, we embellished our vocabulary with the expression: I come from Dej.

Years ago, I was telling former colleagues the 'I come from Dej' story. They laughed, and so I went and told them about the French classes I was taking. They had started to feel a little less interesting since I was interupted by the teacher every time I made a mistake. One of my former colleagues, assimilating the meaning of the abovementioned expression, asked me: so, why didn't you ask her... ma'am, do you come from Dej?

No comments:

Post a Comment