Monday 4 May 2020

Still thinking about you, my dear Master!



Today, we celebrate 98 years since Vlad Musatescu was born. Let’s honor him properly by reading what he wrote, this time a fragment from ‘Approximate adventures’, the third chapter.

“…
Next day, dolled up in the lightest suit (from a color perspective, and not a weight one) to make sure I’ll raise my dear fellow’s spirits, I was getting aboard. The train. Specifically, in the dining car. There, I found the two, Franz and Titus, in the middle of an Ardeal-like feast (Ardeal is a region in Transylvania) drinking turt (an alcoholic beverage from the Satu Mare region, similar to palinka). They were happily talking as if they were on a trip to Haway.
‘Are you insane’, I tried speaking in an Ardeal-like manner, so to keep the atmosphere, ‘to drink this poison on an empty stomach?’
‘We are! And we also are broke… Meaning, no money at all!’, Munteanu informed me.
‘You should be ashamed of yourself! You haven’t said a word about this illness to me. Well, I’ll fix it!’

And I left looking for the chief of the dining car. When I told him that he had guests that represented the culture sector, he was dearly impressed and assured me that he will give us full support. I took a moment and mentioned the kind of support we needed, some piglet ribs (as tender and fat as possible) accompanied by pilaf and French fries.
In no less than five minutes, the chief came back to our table with the platter. After wishing us to enjoy the meal, he came closer to me and whispered at my ear:
‘Do you work in the small or in the big culture, if you don’t mind my asking? I am an agronomist myself. I work here because it pays much better and I can also see the country, free of charge.’

…”

No comments:

Post a Comment