Sunday 28 February 2021

The Secret Language


I invent words. Those close to me are already in the know and make use of them. A couple of years ago, my nephew came to visit while we were living in Cluj. We had some great laughs during his stay and when he left, he had already put to good use some of my invented words. One evening, I received a call from my sister.

‘You have driven my child crazy with your invented words. What does ‘hopsh-hopsh’ mean? Yesterday, he asked me to do it and he was filled with indignation at my lack of understanding since it had been so much used during our stay in Cluj.’

‘It means to take a nap or even to snore, sometimes’, I replied laughing.’

I remembered about this dialogue the other day, when my husband referred to it (taking a nap) by changing it into ‘hapciu-hapciu’ (the equivalent of achoo in Romanian). 

Well, the squirrel is really a part of our world and we cannot help but refer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment