Sunday 7 August 2022

Slovakia - our visit

My husband suggested Slovakia for our summer holiday this year, and since we had a really nice experience in Slovenia last year, I was really looking forward to it.

We started our journey in Kosice. It has a very nice city centre, and like for almost anything we saw in Slovakia, the architecture is similar to what you can find in Austria or Hungary (and in Romania, Sibiu or Sighisoara).

Presov

A small visit through Presov, and it reminded me of the experience we had in Albania, in terms of finding Romania promoted.


Spis Castle

Slovakia has many castles one could visit. From them all, we visited Spis. The view is really nice and visitors are encouraged to come there and have a picnic.

Vysoke Tatry

The Tatra Mountains are the highest mountain range from the west Carpathian Mountains. In Slovakia, they are divided into the High and the Low Tatra Mountains.

We stayed in a lovely cottage that had quick access to the chairlift that brought us to the mountains.

Kremnica

This is such a lovely small town, built on important gold mines! It is the site of the oldest still-working mint in the world. And a bird’s eye view from the castle.

Cicmany village

This is a lovely spot to stop and see the painted wooden houses.

Banska Bystrica

Such a lovely town. Unfortunately, we were only passing by, but it defintely deserved at least one day to explore.



Nitra

A cute little town, with a castle to visit.

Bratislava

Like mostly everywhere in Slovakia, there are a lot of bronze statues in Bratislava, too.

And icecream 😊And the Danube.


Komarno

Right at the border with Hungary, there is a small and lovely town called Komarno. Attention must be given while strolling through the city center because you might miss a small entrance to a city center within the city center.


Slovakia in literature

What kind of writer would I be, if I did not show interest in literature?!

Everytime I visit a place (here’s a funny story from when I visited Slovenia last year), I like to take that feeling with me. So I buy tea and books by local writers.

Unfortunately, in the smaller cities, I could not find translated books by Slovak writers. But I was lucky to find these below in Bratislava.

I’ve only managed to read Ivana Dobrakovova’s Bellevue (which I really enjoyed), and I am looking forward to reading the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment