Monday 22 June 2020

How to get published

Facebook
(Photo credit: Laura Chouette - Unsplash)

A young lady wrote to me on Facebook and asked me what did I do in order to get published. She asked me to explain it to her by enumerating the steps. After replying to her, I said to myself that this is surely not the only person to have this demand so below you’ll read my answer.

 

 

Hi,

 

Thank you very much for writing to me!

Firstly, congratulations! It’s such a beautiful journey you’re embarking, being a writer that is, albeit sinuous.

I do not know if my journey could be of any service, but I will break it down in simple steps. I wrote what I really felt inside me I should write about. I must highlight this because you will find and hear a lot of indications saying that it is best to only write about what it is in fashion or about the subjects people usually read. To my mind, if you choose to do it this way you are not a writer, but a journalist (because aside from informing the people, they are constantly in search of subjects that could wow the people).

Step two – I wanted my books to be published. If you should want the same thing, then I advise you to start a research on publishing houses. You can easily find on internet a list od publishing houses in Romania (I guess it’s the same if you live in England or France, or any other country). Choose those more in sync with you (on account of what they have already published).

Step three – send them a summary of the work and a chapter or two, as sample.

Step four – send a follow-up email to ask if they had received your email and if they can offer you feedback.

Step five – keep writing.

Step six – send or resend your work and do not stop from writing.

 

I know there are people that have self-published their works, but I do not have details about this process. Advice – even though the publishing house promotes your work, do promote it yourself.

I hope this has been useful and would love to hear from you when you’re published. Good luck!

 

Cordially,

Emilia

No comments:

Post a Comment