Tuesday 4 August 2020

Squirrel away

(Photo credit: Sharon McCutcheon - Unsplash)


My friend and I were talking the other day about the way our parents have grown accustomed to store away goods for future use – to sum it up, to squirrel away.

No need to look no further, because I do it too.

 

And so I remembered how a few years ago, before moving to Russia, I spent a couple of weeks in Tulcea. I took the time to also clean the insides of my drawers. And so I discovered the pile of exam papers stored in one of them. Actually, it seemed that I had made stock of all the exam papers taken between the secondary school and the last year of high school. Quite a legacy, I would say, since I made a beautiful pile of them!

Talking to my friend about them, I remembered how it all started. Sure, the keeping was not supposed to happen for more than after high school and I do not understand why, after leaving home, I did not throw them away. I guess it’s a matter of having issues to let go of things.


It’s a funny thing about memory, it strikes back when least expected. And so I went back on the memory lane. A former student told me that his teacher registered a mark in the grade book and he knew he had received another one. Since he happened to have the exam paper, he showed it to the teacher and so the issue was resolved. Apparently, I was frightened about being mistreated.

I wonder, was it then when my proactivity kicked in?!

No comments:

Post a Comment