Wednesday 25 November 2020

The case of motivation at a job interview

I recently read a post on LinkedIn about a certain question usually asked at a job interview and I laughed.

The picture of the post presented a simple dialogue:

‘Why do you want this job?’

‘I’ve always been passionate about not starving to death.’

 

Sometimes it’s a real slog to go to interviews. People expect highly motivated explanations to why one wishes to occupy a certain job. Sure, motivation should be there. Otherwise, there would be no applicants. But the thing is, some applicants find it hard to manifest euphoria in front of strangers. Others, like me, are characterized by a terse style. I do think that those who applied without even looking at the job post could be easily discovered (I know this is the issue). Yeah, I really do think that!

 

Inevitably, it reminded me of a question I’ve been asked at a couple of interviews:

 ‘But if you write books and you are a published author, and you are so creative, why do you want to work in a company?’


My motivation is the same as it has always been: I need to be with people. To build and gather stories around them. But even so, artists cannot live off their creation. Or, at least, only a few of them can.

Inspiration has been kind to me these past few years. Starting from 2015, when Sugu the squirrel gave me a slick smile and inspired me to write that children’s story. It seems he came to me accompanied by other ideas, and thus the novella, the short stories collection, and the novel emerged.

Long live my books!

No comments:

Post a Comment