Monday 6 March 2023

Words used to create a gong-like effect


I do not know if we find it more and more difficult to express ourselves due to so many technologies nowadays that facilitate so many things for us, among which communication, but I cannot but notice a tendency to use words that do not support understanding and create some smog. Nothing new, this has been done for some time now, but not as often as this, I daresay. In the language that we speak daily, we use acronyms or words coming from the english language that we adopted too easily, I would say. And I remark the difficulty to say an entire sentence in a correct Romanian – ok there is no news here, too.

What puzzles me even more is the increase in using gong-words. What are those?!

When one does not know what to say (maybe not enough vocabulary or knowledge on the subject), but one has to or wants to comment, then one uses a gong-word. Its role is to emotionally unsettle the interlocutor, that sometimes starts to wonder if they had grasped everything that was on the subject.

 

Here below are the most used gong-words that I noticed, but I am sure there are more:

  • interesting - this one has a lot of meanings; I sometimes find it used when someone does not like/ does not understand the thing they are talking about and so they qualify it as interesting
  • splendid
  • wow - haven’t you heard about the wow element?! No? You lucky people, you!
  • why not?! – for a long time, I thought this was almost yes; but I learned that it is, actually, an embellished no and that one will figure this as time goes by

 

And far be it from me to think I am better than everyone and to point fingers. I have already surprised myself a couple of times using the word interesting. But I wanted to put this into writing, so that the gong-words trick can be exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment